Tuesday 28 April 2009

Swine flu: UK press




Ha ha the swine flu

Bloody hell what a fuss. But great media fodder

These examples were from Monday for Tuesday editions

Sorry - these are the only examples I have

The Guardian produced their classic map with data-driven circles

I must admit that I wanted to do something similar

Indeed I had some 'magic' working, but a senior editor had his doubts

And in a way I slightly agree

If we are all looking at the spread of the disease, then the 'circular method of present the spread is misleading' he said

Great as the Guardian graphic is, does it indicate that the 'suspected' circle has directly contaminated the countries that it covers?

I had not wanted to take this into consideration, because as an example of such, and as the production looks so wonderful, the editor had a major point - that this technique is flawed in this example

I guess, the fall out is, that it is OK to produce the circular data graphics as data graphics, but to overlay over a map can confuse things somewhat

Certainly over a map of the world, which covers millions of miles

It would most certainly work over a localised area map

We at the Telegraph tried too cover to much, I think

The information over the map, which was updated overnight, maybe became a little on the side of 'where do I look first'

Overall I think the desire was fine, we managed to incorporate a timeline of the swine flu, and hint at possible causes. Which added that element 'unintended learning'

My winner was the first infographic, which shows, in a headline manner, which companies were 'winner and losers' from the Mexican disaster

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon - tell me how you feel